Saturday, April 13, 2013

The joy of Academe

I was never a university lecturer, much less a professor, but I do have two higher degrees in Education -- MEd and PhD. I even wrote a book about higher education: The Goals of Universities. I think I did once find a scanned copy of that book somewhere on the net, but a quick Google doesn't make it obvious. And it's out of print.

Anyway, point is, I have more than a passing interest in the state of the university. So I cannot let this article about the plight of the would-be professor (in America) go unremarked: Academia's indentured servants.

And you'll get a bit of a surprise when you find out where it's published.

Much of what the author says is as relevant to the position of writers as it is to would-be academics. And of course the two worlds interact in the shape of creative-writing courses.

Well, I've had my say on those sorts of thing, and the people who teach on them or pay the fees. I can think of much better ways to spend one's time and money.

PS Thanks to Books Inq for the link.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep coming looking for new posts. Have you by any chance been writing a blog elsewhere? I am now in touch with one whose author has much of your style — well written prose with a thread of humour running through the posts.

James said...

In your experience with book publishing, have you come across a good textbook price comparison site like campusbooks.com or textbookfind.com?

Valencia said...

This is cool!

Assignment Help said...

Experience the Best Assignment Writing Services at
Help with assignments
Excellent assignment help

DR AQ said...

I keep coming looking for new posts as Coupontoaster Vouchers

Anonymous said...

You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. thanks this time to take advantage of Residential Roofers in Portland visit for more details.

gajendra said...

nursing writing assignments<a href="https://prowriterz.com/nursing-assignment-writers:/https://prowriterz.com/nursing-assignment-writers/</

DR AQ said...

Thanks for sharing this valuable informationGuest Post beauty